CM v10.02 Final - How to increase draw/view distance?

Technical support for ALL VERSIONS of FakeFactory's Cinematic Mod.
Please post Character Pimper related questions in the Character Pimper section!
sevlagoth

CM v10.02 Final - How to increase draw/view distance?

Postby sevlagoth » 02 Jan 2010, 15:47

Hi everyone!

I just installed CM 10 and it really bumps up the quality of the original allot.
I have the HD version making everything very detailed, except in one department: Draw distance stays similar to the original, with some kind of white fog, that fades everything like 200 meters away.

For what I've seen, in CM 9.5 fakefactory improved on this subject, but I can't get it to work...

My computer can surely handle it:

- Core 2 Duo @ 2.95GHZ
- 6GB RAM
- ATI 4870
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Here goes some screens so you can see the issue:

Is this intentional, or am I missing something?
Thanks in advance for your reply and Happy New Year!
"Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder."

sevlagoth

Re: CM v10.02 Final - How to increase draw/view distance?

Postby sevlagoth » 03 Jan 2010, 02:24

Can't anybody give me some advice on how to solve this? :(

Barozi

Postby Barozi » 03 Jan 2010, 16:21

I've just played that part in CM9.51 and there's no fog at all.

It could be that the fog is a feature in your version of CM10 which adds atmosphere.

I tested the same level in CM10.10, but Fake made the level at night and I'm too lazy to look how I can switch it back.

artyomenko

Postby artyomenko » 04 Jan 2010, 18:29

I have same question\problem :|

Barozi

Postby Barozi » 04 Jan 2010, 19:50

More details please.
Does this occure in all levels or only in the Highway 17/ Sandtraps chapters ?

sevlagoth

Postby sevlagoth » 04 Jan 2010, 22:27

Barozi wrote:More details please.

Hi!

Thanks for looking into this subject. :)

Well, I just installed update 10.10 and now the draw distance has improved on the same level as the screenshots I posted.

Even though, I can notice the draw distance is not unrestricted, like in the CM9.5 screenshots (you can almost see the horizon in some of them), now I get maybe 500 meters, before the scenery starts to fade away. (Night time)

I've been looking everywhere for info on this (including German Forums - Thank god for google translate), and it seems there were a lot of people complaining that CM9.5 HD was too taxing on their hardware. (Few fps on open areas).

So I guess that fog is intentional, to find a balance between eye candy and game performance.

I really recommend everyone to install the 10.10 update and give those night levels a try. (I almost shited my pants a couple of times, by getting surprised by combine and zombies, lol)

Plus you get a new high-tech combine skin and Adriana Lima is back at her best. (The physics driven ear-ring and necklace are just on the spot)

To finish, I just want to say, this is an amazing experience and I want to thank Fakefactory for all his dedication and time spent, doing this fantastic update to the HL2 universe.

cybmole
Global Mod

Postby cybmole » 05 Jan 2010, 00:46

sevlagoth wrote:
Barozi wrote:More details please.

Hi!

Thanks for looking into this subject. :)

Well, I just installed update 10.10 and now the draw distance has improved on the same level as the screenshots I posted.

Even though, I can notice the draw distance is not unrestricted, like in the CM9.5 screenshots (you can almost see the horizon in some of them), now I get maybe 500 meters, before the scenery starts to fade away. (Night time)

I've been looking everywhere for info on this (including German Forums - Thank god for google translate), and it seems there were a lot of people complaining that CM9.5 HD was too taxing on their hardware. (Few fps on open areas).

So I guess that fog is intentional, to find a balance between eye candy and game performance.

I really recommend everyone to install the 10.10 update and give those night levels a try.

google fakefactory +fog.

you'll find that he adds & takes away fog quite often as new releases come along . so if you fon't like fog - chosse a version which does not have any e.g. 9.51

see e.g. this

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6843 ... /Practice/
Update: June 11. 2009
Besides the comparative pictures, which have been created by PCGH on basis of the CM 10 Beta 1, there now is new material from Fakefactory. By his own account he currently focuses on filling the outdoor areas, which are rather empty for today's standards, with some eye catchers and tries to create a colder and more unfriendly atmosphere. In order to do so he also activates the fog again to recapture the original feeling. The maps become a little more post-apocalyptic

sevlagoth

Postby sevlagoth » 05 Jan 2010, 02:19

Point taken. Thanks for the insight. :D

I like the fog, if I think of it as a feature. I just thought something was wrong with my installation, because I wrongly compared it to CM9.5.

Never the less, I like the CM10.10 night levels more, than the previous version with fog. :D

Cheers from Portugal

artyomenko

Postby artyomenko » 08 Jan 2010, 15:50

Where to get 10.10 patch?

cybmole
Global Mod

Postby cybmole » 08 Jan 2010, 16:09

artyomenko wrote:Where to get 10.10 patch?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=202

Return to “Cinematic Mod”